The Reservation’s Ten Commandments as given by the United States of America to the Spokane Indians:
1. You shall have no other forms of government besides me.
2. You shall not make for yourself an independent and self sufficient government, for I am a jealous bureaucracy and will punish the Indian children for the sins of their fathers to the seventh generation of those who hate me.
3. You shall not misuse my name or my symbols, for I will impale you on my flag pole.
4. Remember the first of each month by keeping it holy. The rest of the month you shall go hungry, but the first day of each month is tribute to me, and you shall receive welfare checks and commodity food in exchange for you continued dependence.
5. Honor your Indian father and Indian mother because I have stripped them of their land, language, and hearts, and they need your compassion, which is a commodity I do not supply.
6. You shall not murder, but I shall bring FBI and CIA agents to your reservation and into your homes, and the most intelligent, vocal, and angriest members of your tribes will vanish quietly.
7. You shall not commit adultery, but I will impregnate your women with illegitimate dreams.
8. You shall not steal back what I have already stolen from you.
9. You shall not give false testimony against any white men, but they will tell lies about you, and I will believe them and convict you.
10. You shall not covet the white man’s house. You shall not covet the white man’s wife, or his hopes and opportunities, his cars or VCRs, or anything that belongs to the white man.
- Sherman Alexie, Reservation Blues
“FOR I AM A JEALOUS BUREAUCRACY”
that part always makes me laugh
This is one of my favorite passages, from one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors. “You shall not steal back what I have already stolen from you,” makes me want to start a revolution.
Needs to be on my dash. <3 <3
Yes, should be on my dash ALWAYS.
Rosies of Color. Happy International Women’s Day.
Seriously, whenever I use a flip phone the first thing I always think of is Star Trek :D
THIS SHIT AIN’T RIGHT
STAR TREK DIDN’T PREDICT THE FUTURE FOOL
IT CREATED THE FUTURE
IT INSPIRED THE FUTURE
THE REASON THESE THINGS EXIST IS BECAUSE STAR TREK MADE PEOPLE WANT THEM TO HAPPEN
STAR TREK IS THE FUTURE
“THE REASON THESE THINGS EXIST IS BECAUSE STAR TREK MADE PEOPLE WANT THEM TO HAPPEN” — that is CORRECT.
Truth! Just as a demonstrative example — flip phones don’t remind you of Star Trek by accident: the first flip phone ever invented was actually called the StarTAC.
I want a series where the alpha couple stays together the whole time, no constant breaking up and will-they-won’t-they. And the relationship isn’t the POINT of it all, it’s just a solid consistent fact that enhances it.
Yes! And in case anyone is looking for recs: After the first book (where they get together originally), the werewolf couple in the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong (urban fantasy/paranormal romance) are rock-solid. Actually, most of the main characters in those books (POV varies between novels) have a dramatic getting-together book and then are together for the rest of the series (if you want to avoid those, you can just read the werewolf books in the series; I think they mostly stand on their own).
Ilona Andrews (Magic Bites) and Patricia Briggs (Moon Called) take longer to get there, but are also one-stable-relationship series eventually.
(The fact that I can only come up with one series that fits this at all and two more that dubiously do is, of course, further proof of the op’s point. I just wanted to share, because it’s one of the things I love about Armstrong’s books especially.)
In a startling revelation, the daughter of Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni admitted today during a radio talk show in Mbarara, in Western Uganda that she is homosexual, and that she is revealing this fact as a protest to the anti-gay law her father signed only a few days ago.
Diana Kamuntu, Museveni’s daughter said that though she loves her father unconditionally, she does not agree with Uganda’s anti-gay stance, and will fight against it.
“I am gay, I am homosexual. I have known this since I was a little girl. Also, I have been Christian all of my life, so I will not tolerate any law of this supposedly democratic nation, that will place hate on any person just because of what his or her sexual orientation happens to be,” said Kamuntu.
“Now that I finally revealed my sexual orientation, I put myself in front of this new law and I will let our people decide what to do with me,” Kamuntu adds, as her voice breaks down while on air.
The radio host, James Kasirivu noticeably was in shock, and could not seemingly get words out of his mouth.
The live radio broadcast was abruptly shortened and was put off air after a few hours of repeated commercials.
In the latest setback for homosexuals across Africa, the Ugandan President signed a law Monday that imposes tough penalties for homosexual acts, a move that has been condemned from around the world and that may jeopardize Uganda’s relationship with the United States and other Western nations.
As of this writing, neither the radio station nor the office of Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni could be reached for comment.
I saw pointed out elsewhere — this is from AbrilUno, which is a parody/spoof website. It’s not true.